I'm super psyched that my all-time favorite holiday is tomorrow! Some of my family, my boyfriend, and I are riding in one of the Metaire(about 10 miles outside of New Orleans) truck parades tomorrow - it's a tradition for us and so much more exciting than just going to the parades. If you have yet to experience Mardi Gras, I strongly advise you to take a trip to New Orleans next year to join in and party with us!
In honor of the most unique celebration on the planet, here is a little history and some facts about Mardi Gras...
- THE ORIGINS OF MARDI GRAS CAN BE TRACED TO MEDIVAL EUROPE THOUGH THE ORIGINS OF MARDI GRAS WE CELEBRATE TODAY (WITH KINGS, MARDI GRAS COLORS, AND BRASS BANDS) ARE TRACED TO NEW ORLEANS.
- THE FIRST MARDI GRAS CELEBRATION IN THE U.S. RECORD WAS IN MOBILE, ALABAMA IN 1703.
- THE FIRST RECORDED MARDI GRAS PARADE IN NEW ORLEANS WAS IN 1837, BUT THE FIRST PARADE IN THE CITY THAT FEATURED FLOATS WAS IN 1857.
- OVER THE YEARS, NEW ORLEANIANS ADDED TO THE CELEBRATION BY ESTABLISHING KREWES WHICH HOLD FORMAL BALLS AND PARADES.
- THE TERM "MARDI GRAS" MEANS "FAT TUESDAY" (IT IS ALWAYS CELEBRATED ON A TUESDAY), AND THE NAME REFLECTS THE INDULGENT BEHAVIOR OF THE CARNIVAL SEASON.
- THE HOLIDAY CAN FALL BETWEEN FEBRUARY 3 AND MARCH 9, DEPENDING ON THE LUNAR CALENDAR, BUT MARDI GRAS IS ALWAYS 47 DAYS BEFORE EASTER SUNDAY.
- THE OFFICIAL MARDI GRAS COLORS ARE PURPLE, GREEN, AND GOLD AND WERE CHOSEN IN 1872 BY THE KING OF CARNIVAL, REX.
- COLOR REPRESENTATIONS: PURPLE=JUSTICE, GREEN=FAITH, GOLD=POWER.
- IN 1875, THE GOVERNOR OF LOUISIANA SIGNED THE "MARDI GRAS ACT" MAKING IT A LEGAL HOLIDAY.
- THE FIRST MARDI GRAS BEADS WERE MADE OF GLASS, BUT TODAY THE VAST MAJORITY OF BEADS ARE PLASTIC (THEY ARE MUCH SAFER, LOL).
|I had a little too much fun last year, lol.|