Friday, February 4, 2011

Bone Crossed & Silver Borne


Review of Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
Bone Crossed, the 4th book in Patricia Briggs’s Mercy Thompson series, was by far my favorite in the series. It was full of surprises and suspense - I couldn’t put it down! This book features creepy creatures, ghosts, zombies, and an array of new, intriguing characters. I particularly enjoyed the way Briggs brings you deeper into the culture of the local vampire seethe as well as werewolf pack politics.

I truly love the characters in this book. After somewhat concealing her shape-shifter identity from others for so long, Mercy finally begins to accept who she is rather than hiding from herself. She welcomes and embraces the gifts of being a walker in attempts to resolve dangerous, complex events but soon learns that her efforts create more and more conflicts and puts herself and the ones she loves in grave danger. Mercy is definitely one of a kind. Briggs also did a beautiful job in the developing Adam’s character as well as his and Mercy’s relationship. I also found myself appreciating several of the other characters including Stefan, Ben, Warren, and Samuel-each has his own unique, unexpected story.  
I give this book a 5/5. It is a must read!

Review of Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs
*Contains Spoilers
Another great book by Patricia Briggs! Several subplots effortlessly come together: Mercy’s attempt to return a magical book to a part human part fae friend-of-a-friend, Mercy’s difficult integration into Adam’s pack, and Samuel’s misery of being an old, lone wolf. The events which surround these subplots are super exciting and caught me off guard. Samuel’s suicide attempt and Mercy’s house fire were both completely unexpected but were events which led to some conclusions that I had been waiting for.
The only criticism I have is that I think Briggs went a little too far, in terms of the fae. The description of the faerie queen’s lair and the events which took place were over-the-top and felt forced to me. This part of the story veered too far away from the other major events in the book,
Overall, I give the book 4/5.  
Can't wait for River Marked to come out on March 1st!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...